Re: [HACKERS] Continuous buildfarm failures on hamster with bin-check - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Continuous buildfarm failures on hamster with bin-check
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, I'm a bit suspicious of relocating the temp stats directory as
>> being a reliable fix for this.

> It's an SD card (the kind typically used in cameras and phones), not SSD.
> Saying it's slow is an understatement.  It's *excruciatingly* slow.

Oh, I misread it ... but still, the modern definition of "excruciatingly
slow" doesn't seem all that far off what 90s-era hard drives could do.
It is clear from googling though that there's an enormous performance
range in SD cards' random write performance, eg wikipedia's entry has
a link to

http://goughlui.com/2014/01/16/testing-sd-card-performance-round-up/

Seems like it's hard to judge this without knowing exactly which
SD card Michael has got in that thing.