Re: Question about optimizing access to a table. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Question about optimizing access to a table.
Date
List pgsql-general
Herouth Maoz <herouth@unicell.co.il> wrote:
> On 10/12/2013, at 20:55, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> First, make sure that you are on the latest minor release of
>> whatever major release you are running.  There were some serious
>> problems with autovacuum's table truncation when a table was
>> used as a queue and size fluctuated.  These are fixed in the
>> latest set of minor releases.
>
> I failed to mention which version of PostgreSQL I was on.
> 9.1.2 in this case. Do you mean that I have to go to 9.3.x or
> simply to 9.1.11?

In the PostgreSQL world, a minor release is when everything to the
left of the second dot stays the same.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

9.1.11 contains the fix for the problems I was describing.  While
it's a good idea to stay current with minor releases in general,
for those using a table for a queue which may fluctuate in size,
there is an important set of fixes that make it particularly
important right now.  I have seen multiple sites using Slony where,
without the fixes, the database became unusable for normal
production after falling behind and subsequently catching up.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com