Re: PG 7.3.1 with ssl on linux hangs (testcase available) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG 7.3.1 with ssl on linux hangs (testcase available)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> I pushed client_min_messages and log_min_messages to debug5, and the
> only suspicious message at startup is
> LOG:  could not load root cert file "/usr/data/pgsql-7.4/root.crt": No
> such file or directory
> DETAIL:  Will not verify client certificates.
> which shouldn't be a problem (pg_hba.conf is configured to trust).

That's expected if you don't provide a root.crt file.  (I don't, and it
still works for me.)

> Any connect attempt will log
> DEBUG:  forked new backend, pid=1826 socket=8
> DEBUG:  proc_exit(0)
> DEBUG:  shmem_exit(0)
> DEBUG:  exit(0)
> DEBUG:  reaping dead processes
> DEBUG:  child process (pid 1826) exited with exit code 0

> with the client side message "server does not support SSL, but SSL was
> required". OpenSSL is 0.9.6g

Bizarre.  I looked through the recent sslmode patch, and while I found
some things I didn't like, none of them explain this.  Could you perhaps
get a trace of the server-to-client interaction?  Either strace'ing psql
or watching the IP traffic with a packet sniffer should do --- but make
sure you get the full contents of each packet sent and received.

            regards, tom lane