Re: pg_restore with --use-list and --jobs and depdendencies - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore with --use-list and --jobs and depdendencies
Date
List pgsql-admin
Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi all: I just wanted to clarify something for myself: how does pg_restore
> determine restore order if you're using a --use-list and --jobs parameters.
> Given the concurrency of jobs and (assuming) it goes in order of what's in
> the list, does it... well, does it sort out dependencies properly so data
> is inserted that foreign keys need, etc?

(1) The basic order of the restored items is what you say in the --list
file, but it will start the next item as soon as (a) a worker is free
and (b) all of that item's dependencies are complete

(2) It will honor direct dependencies between restored items, ie
not start B till A is done if B is shown as depending on A

(3) I'm not too sure about indirect dependencies, ie if you have
a situation where C depends on B depends on A and you ask for just
A and C, that may end up with no dependency constraint delaying C.
Which might be fine, or it might not; you'd need to be more specific
about what you intend to skip.

            regards, tom lane