Re: Full Stored Procedure Support, any time soon ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Full Stored Procedure Support, any time soon ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Noel Diaz wrote
> T_ Implement stored procedures
> This might involve the control of transaction state and the return of
> multiple result sets
>     * PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?
>     * Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
>     * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg00542.php
>     * Gathering specs and discussion on feature (post 9.1)
>
> Does anybody know if any the committers are working on that list?

I have not seen any recent discussions on the list pertaining to
implementing callable stored procedures.  Thus nothing like this has a
chance to make it out with the next release 6+ months from now.  The
earliest possible implementation would be 1.5 years from now and that is
only if someone decides to dedicate the next year solely on this feature.

Some "foundation" work has been ongoing recently, notably "background
workers", which is how these things are likely to play out.

David J.