Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 03:25:44PM -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>
>>> How are we handling breakage of pg_dump, not pg_dumpall?
>>
>> That was discussed.  Do you have something to add?
>
> I am confused what we are patching.  Are we patching pg_dump,
> pg_dumpall, or both?

Just pg_dumpall.c.

> Can I see the full patch?

It was attached to this post:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1385225082.8248.YahooMailNeo@web162901.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

> Are we propagating other settings from pg_dump to pg_dumpall,
> like statement_timeout?

pg_dumpall output sets up the global objects (including their
properties) and then does a \connect to each database, followed by
the same output that pg_dump would generate for that database.
That includes the SET statements for statement_timeout, etc.  The
patch does nothing to change what objects or properties the
pg_dumpall output tries to set up, it just sets a property *on the
current connection* to allow those statements to run without error.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com