Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency
Date
Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> How are we handling breakage of pg_dump, not pg_dumpall?

That was discussed.  Do you have something to add?

> doc patch?

Instead of the fix you mean, or with it?  I don't see what we would
change in the docs for the fix; the alternative might be to
document that pg_dumpall output will fail to restore if any
database (or the restoring user) has this property set.

> pg_upgrade probably needs a doc patch too, or a reset like
> pg_dumpall.  pg_upgrade is more like pg_dumpall, so a code patch
> seems most logical, again, assuming we decide that pg_dumpall is
> the right place for this reset of default_transaction_read_only.

I don't have much opinion on what the pg_upgrade aspect except,
like I said, that if it is going to fail, it should fail in the
check.  Passing the check but failing during the upgrade would not
be very user-friendly.  Again, I'm not sure that a doc patch is
needed to say that pg_upgrade works even when this option is set.
Why would anyone assume otherwise?  Why would we list this property
and not others?

I'm willing to do the pg_dumpall patch but would rather not take on
pg_upgrade.  If you would rather I leave the whole thing to you,
that's OK, too.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com