Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote
> <command>
> ABORT
> </>
>  when not inside a transaction does
> <command>
> ABORT
> </>
>  outside of a transaction block has no effect.

>> > Uh, I ended up mentioning "no effect" to highlight it does nothing,
>> > rather than mention a warning.  Would people prefer I say "warning"?
>> Or
>> > should I say "issues a warning because it has no effect" or something?
>> > It is easy to change.
>>
>> I'd revert the change Robert highlights above.  ISTM you've changed the
>> code to match the documentation; why would you then change the docs?
>
> Well, I did it to make it consistent.  The question is what to write for
> _all_ of the new warnings, including SET.  Do we say "warning", do we
> say "it has no effect", or do we say both?  The ABORT is a just one case
> of that.

How about:

"Issuing <command> outside of a transaction has no effect and will provoke a
warning."

I dislike "does no harm" because it can if someone thinks the current state
is different than reality.

It is good to indicate that a warning is emitted if this is done in error;
thus reinforcing the fact people should be looking at their warnings.

"when not inside" uses a negative modifier while "outside" is more direct
and thus easier to read, IMO.  The phrase "transaction block" seems wordy so
I omitted the word "block".

David J.