Re: First patch -- somewhat trivial feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: First patch -- somewhat trivial feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote
> * Robert Berry (

> berrydigital@

> ) wrote:
>> This is my first attempt at writing a patch, so it's pretty simple.
>
> Neat!
>
>>              seq_page: 1.000000, rnd_page: 4.000000, cpu_tup: 0.010000,
>> cpu_ind: 0.005000, cpu_op: 0.002500
>>              amenabled: 11111111111
>>
>>     The bit vector is enable variables in the order listed in cost.h,
>> though mainly provides a high level view on whether or not any strategies
>> are disabled.
>
> While I like the general idea, I have to admit that I don't particularly
> like the format and I'm not sure why it makes sense to have this as part
> of 'explain'?  Why not do a 'show all;' ahead of the explain?

I kinda get the theory behind this but, WRT formatting, explain can output
multiple formats and any patch affecting said output should provide for
changing all of them.  Having each of the sample outputs in the post would
allow for comments from those who would not generally apply such patches.

David J.