Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:

> Logic error

>   Stack address stored into global variable:  1

I took a look at this one, and it is a totally legitimate use, the
reason for which is explained with this comment:

/*
 * check_stack_depth: check for excessively deep recursion
 *
 * This should be called someplace in any recursive routine that might possibly
 * recurse deep enough to overflow the stack.  Most Unixen treat stack
 * overflow as an unrecoverable SIGSEGV, so we want to error out ourselves
 * before hitting the hardware limit.
 */

Which raises the question: do these clang tools have any way to
record which "errors" have been established to be false positives,
so that they don't show up in subsequent runs.  I know Valgrind has
that.  Without such a capability, these tools don't seem very
valuable.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com