Re: Mac ordering with locales - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Mac ordering with locales
Date
List pgsql-general

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/CoreFoundation/Reference/CFStringRef/Reference/reference.html#//apple_ref/c/func/CFStringCompareWithOptionsAndLocale

> It is obviously not a portable function (beyond the Core Foundation
> sources being open and available), so there may not be any interest
> in having this in PostgreSQL.

Hmm.  In principle we could replace strcoll() with a wrapper around
this, using a src/port/ module. The real problem with this is that it's
new in Leopard, and thus not even adequately portable within the OSX
world.

> Also, which MacOS X version is under discussion here? Could the
> strcoll() bug have been fixed in Leopard?

I just checked sort(1) on 10.5.2, and it seems to still behave the same
as before, so nope they didn't change it.

            regards, tom lane