Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Leonardo Francalanci
Subject Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments
Date
Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments  ("ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu>)
Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Before getting too excited about some new academic index type, it's worth
> noting the sad state in which hash indexes have languished for years.
> Nobody's bothered to add WAL support, let alone do any other real work
> on them.  The non-btree index types that have been getting love are the
> ones that offer the ability to index queries that btree can't.  I think
> a new index type whose only benefit is the claim to be faster in a narrow
> use-case is likely to end up like hash, not getting used enough to be
> properly maintained.
>             regards, tom lane

Aren't hash indexes in a poor state because they are not faster than btree in every condition?