Re: Performance monitor signal handler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance monitor signal handler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>     What about a collector deamon, fired up by the postmaster and
>     receiving UDP packets from the backends. Under heavy load, it
>     might miss some statistic messages, well, but that's  not  as
>     bad as having locks causing backends to loose performance.

Interesting thought, but we don't want UDP I think; that just opens
up a whole can of worms about checking access permissions and so forth.
Why not a simple pipe?  The postmaster creates the pipe and the
collector daemon inherits one end, while all the backends inherit the
other end.