Re: SSI freezing bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: SSI freezing bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-10-07 06:44:19 -0700, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> Patch attached.  Any objections to applying that Real Soon Now?
>> (When, exactly is the deadline to make today's minor release
>> cut-off?)
>
> Maybe it's overly careful, but I personally slightly vote for applying
> it after the backbranch releases. The current behaviour doesn't have any
> harsh consequences and mostly reproduceable in artifical scenarios and
> the logic here is complex enough that we might miss something.
>
> A day just doesn't leave much time to noticing any issues.

I grant that the bug in existing production code is not likely to
get hit very often, but it is a bug; the new isolation test shows
the bug clearly and shows that the suggested patch fixes it.  What
tips the scales for me is that the only possible downside if we
missed something is an occasional false positive serialization
failure, which does not break correctness -- we try to minimize
those for performance reasons, but the algorithm allows them and
they currently do happen.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com