Re: Missing tables in postgresql 7.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Missing tables in postgresql 7.2.4
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Michael Beckstette" <mbeckste@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:
> The 6 completely lost tables are not so dramatical, because they contain only
> static data, that I can restore from the development system. But what happens
> with the 8 tables that are still accessable, but not listed in pg_tables, after
> a VACUUM? Will they be removed completely or 'reinserted' into pg_tables?

> Does anyone has an advise how to proceed in this situation?

What I would recommend as a first step is to stop the postmaster and
then take a tarball backup of the entire $PGDATA tree.  This will at
least provide a chance to go back if subsequent tries mess things up
completely.

After that, I'd try a plain VACUUM (not FULL, not FREEZE) of pg_class
and see if that restores the missing tables to view in pg_tables.
If it does, go ahead and do a database-wide plain VACUUM, and you
should be OK.  If it doesn't, we'll need to think of another plan.

            regards, tom lane