Re: How do I save my tables? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Kimberly Israel
Subject Re: How do I save my tables?
Date
Re: How do I save my tables?
List pgsql-novice
>An errors-only log is useless for this kind of analysis.  its the successful
>statements that truly matter (in combination with the errors).  You should
>log all statements during our next session so a complete log is available
>for review.  You should also annotate said log with your thoughts/comments
>before posting it (and trim out the errors that you subsequently corrected).

>You do not "save" tables.  If you issue a successful CREATE TABLE statement
>that table will be permanent.

>You need replicate what you did "yesterday" and document what you did in
>much more detail if you want someone to try and figure out what went wrong.
>So go in, create one table.  Insert and query it.  Close out pgAdmin and
>reboot if you like.  Then go back in and see if the table is still there.
>If not note any changes to the pgAdmin dialogs hat your made while adding
>said table.  My on.y thought is that you created temporary tables (which go
>away at session end).

>David J.

Is this what you mean by bottom-posting? With the arrows marking out the previous post?  I tried again and here's what happened:

Opened pgAdmin III, double clicked on PostgreSQL 9.3 (x86) (localhost: 5432)
Double clicked on database postgres, opened SQL query window

CREATE DATABASE firedata;
-> Query returned successfully with no result in 3119 ms.
--Didn't see anything, went to Options and unchecked "Enable auto rollback", refreshed object browser and database was there.

CREATE TABLE landform (
landform_code smallint,
landform_type varchar(15)
);
-> Query returned successfully with no result in 31 ms.
--Didn't see any sign of the table in the object browser, even after refreshing.

INSERT INTO landform VALUES
(1, 'ridgetop'),
(2, 'open slope'),
(3, 'spur ridge'),
(4, 'gap'),
(5, 'knob'),
(6, 'plunging cove'),
(7, 'bottom'),
(8, 'bench');
->Query returned successfully: 8 rows affected, 11 ms execution time.
--Still no sense of where the table actually is

SELECT * FROM landform;
-> returns the table with the values I'd entered

Clicked "save file" from the toolbar and saved as landformtest.
Exited from pgAdmin III.

Reopened pgAmin III, double clicked on firedata database.

SELECT * FROM landform;
->ERROR:  relation "landform" does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT * FROM landform;
                      ^

Double clicked on postgres database in case the table somehow wound up there and tried to select from the table again, with the same result.