Re: How do I save my tables? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Johnston
Subject Re: How do I save my tables?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thomas Kellerer wrote
> Kimberly Israel, 17.09.2013 14:33:
>> Yesterday I created several tables and was able to run queries that
>> combined data from more than one table at a time, but when I reopened
>> pgAdmin III today, the database I had created was there, but the
>> tables were all gone.  I tried to save my work, but what got saved
>> was a .sql file that seems to only contain the code for creating the
>> database.  Basically what I need to know is how do I put my tables
>> somewhere where I'll be able to continue working with them after a
>> period of having the computer off?
>
> This all sounds like you forgot to commit your changes.
>
> When you have auto-commit disabled you need to commit every change you
> make to the database - including a CREATE TABLE statement.

All true; and while I didn't actively ponder this scenario I find it
unlikely given the log file.  Given all of the syntax errors that we saw I
would have expected to see a large number of  (paraphrased) "current
transaction is aborted; ignoring all statements until Rollback has been
issued" messages.

Unless the OP was re-creating the table every time a typo occurred those
tables had to have been committed at some point during the session.

Also, I do not think the OP likely turned off auto-commit and so if that is
the default mode I would presume that said default is still in effect.

The temporary table thought is pretty much just as improbable but nothing
else readily comes to mind.

David J.