Re: pg_largeobjects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_largeobjects
Date
List pgsql-general
James Sewell <james.sewell@lisasoft.com> wrote:

> is there any reason to use pg_largeobjects if I am storing data
> under 1GB which doesn't require random reads any more?

If individual large objects might need to be referenced from
multiple locations, it gives you an easy way to do that without
needing to create a new table with id and document columns (and
possibly a comment column).

It gives you the ability to stream documents in rather than
including them in a SQL statement, which can reduce stress on RAM.

It gives you the ability to set the security for individual
documents, although it sounds like that is not something you find
useful.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com