Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearch fixup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearch fixup
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Since they're v0, they'd have to explicitly know about the pass-by-ref
>> status of float4.

> Well, the previous code was doing some pallocs, and the new code is not:
> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/seg/seg.c.diff?r1=1.20;r2=1.21

[ shrug... ]  So, you missed something.

>> Did this patch include a compile-time choice of whether things could
>> remain pass-by-ref?  I rather imagine that some people out there will
>> prefer to stay that way instead of fix their old v0 code.

> Hmm, nope.  Do we really need that?

Given that we *have to* handle a compile-time choice for whether float8
is pass-by-ref, I should think that allowing a similar choice for float4
is perfectly sensible and not really more work (it'll just be a second
instance of the same code pattern).

I'm not at all sure it made sense to apply this portion of the patch
separately.

            regards, tom lane