Re: PATCH: Keep one postmaster monitoring pipe per process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PATCH: Keep one postmaster monitoring pipe per process
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: Keep one postmaster monitoring pipe per process  (Marco Pfatschbacher <Marco_Pfatschbacher@genua.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Very interesting.  Perhaps that is why NetBSD shows a speedup with the
> kqueue patch[1] but FreeBSD doesn't.  I guess that if I could get the
> kqueue patch to perform better on large FreeBSD systems, it would also
> be a solution to this problem.

I just noticed that kqueue appears to offer a solution to this problem,
ie one of the things you can wait for is exit of another process (named
by PID, looks like).  If that's portable to all kqueue platforms, then
integrating a substitute for the postmaster death pipe might push that
patch over the hump to being a net win.