Re: question on the information_schema - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David Johnston
Subject Re: question on the information_schema
Date
List pgsql-admin
raghu ram-4 wrote

> If you are executing the SQL statement with "postgres" user
> [Superuser],then you will see all information related to all objects
> without any restrictions of the Ownership.
>
> If you are executing the SQL Statements with "saas" user
> [Non-Superuser],then you will see the table information as owner of "saas"
> user.

Per the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/infoschema-columns.html

"Only those columns are shown that the current user has access to (by way of
being the owner or having some privilege)."

So the restriction is NOT based on ownership but visibility and any tables
created in the public schema are (by default) visible to all users and so
should show up in a information_schema.column query for all users as well.

I toss this out there for now but I have not been doing any kind of testing
for this thread so I'm just reporting my existing understanding and what is
shown in the documentation without verification.

David J.