Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views
Date
Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views  (Keith Fiske <keith@omniti.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Marko Tiikkaja" <pgmail@joh.to> writes:
> Here's the third version of this patch, hopefully this time without any
> problems.  I looked through the patch and it looked OK, but I did that
> last time too so I wouldn't trust myself on that one.

Applied with corrections.

The xml expected output was still wrong - to do that part right, you
need to update xml.out with an xml-enabled build and xml_1.out with a
non-xml-enabled build.

Also, it seemed to me that the patch didn't go far enough, in that it
only touched pg_get_viewdef and not the sister functions.  pg_dump would
certainly want pg_get_ruledef to have the same behavior, and in general
the documentation seems to me to be clear that all these functions have
similar pretty-print-vs-not behavior.  As committed, the pretty_bool
argument only affects PRETTY_PAREN processing for all of them.

I also went ahead and set the default wrap column to zero rather than
the former 79, since it seemed clear that people like that behavior
better.