Re: How to do incremental / differential backup every hour in Postgres 9.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: How to do incremental / differential backup every hour in Postgres 9.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil McGuigan <neilmcguigan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Trying to do an hourly hot incremental backup of a single postgres server
>> (windows).
>
> Can you explain what "incremental backup" means to you?  I find that
> there is a surprising variety of opinions about what these terms mean.
> To me, the accumulated wal archive *is* the incremental backup.

Yeah, if you are archiving WAL and set archive_timeout = 1h, you
have all the recovery options that an hourly incremental backup
gives you, and then some.  Basically, incremental backup as
described by most people I've heard would only have one advantage
over this -- the incremental backups would essentially be a
*summary* of the WAL for each hour, taking less space (at the cost
of not being able to pick your recovery point at transaction
granularity).

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com