Re: How to configer the pg_hba record which the database name with "\n" ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: How to configer the pg_hba record which the database name with "\n" ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
huxm wrote
>  where there is a
> newline(\n) in the name.

I can't imagine why you would want to use non-printing characters in a name,
especially a database name.  Even if the hba.conf file was able to interpret
it (which it probably cannot but I do not know for certain) client
interfaces are likely to have problems as well.  Most of these would not
think of interpolating a database identifier in that manner but instead
treat the name as a literal value.  Even when line-continuations are allowed
they are often cosmetic in nature and the resultant newline is discarded
during the pre-execution phase of the command interpreter.

Arguably having a check constraint on the catalog to prohibit such a name
would be more useful than trying to make such a construct functional.

I'd guess in the immediate term the users accessing this database would need
to have "all" as their target and then you use role-based authorization to
limit which specific databases are accessible.

David J.