Re: UNICODE - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From FAU
Subject Re: UNICODE
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On Wed, 2013-07-10 at 12:27 +0900, Inoue, Hiroshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (2013/07/10 1:29), FAU wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to understand how (unix)ODBC and psqlodbc work together
> > regarding UNICODE.
> >
> > So from what I understand is that ODBC UNICODE is/was inherently
> > UCS-2LE.
>
> Currently UTF-16LE or UTF-16BE according to the endianness of the
> machine.
>
> > Does the UNICODE driver version (which is psqlodbcw.so I
> > assume) expect/send UCS-2LE or (as I read somewhere) UTF-8, or does it
> > expect/send whatever the back-end database is setup to?
>
> The unicode driver expects UTF-16 not UTF-8.
> If you are to pass/accept UTF-8 string parameters, use the ANSI
> version of the driver and set client_encoding to 'UTF-8'.

What if the back end database is not setup to unicode (e.g. 8859-1 or
whatever) and the odbc client decides to use the wide/utf-16 API
does this work out for the client?  If it does then this would mean that
there would be some conversion along the path (either done by the driver
manager, the driver or the database).