Re: Using textin/textout vs. scribbling around - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Using textin/textout vs. scribbling around
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am tempted to replace all attempts to build text data on your own (with
> VARDATA, VARHDRSZ, etc.) with proper calls to textin/textout in all places
> that can't claim to be truly internal (especially all contrib).

Other than contrib, what places do you have in mind?

> The background is that the internal format might change sometime when
> more locale features are implemented (see recent idea).  Is this a
> good idea?

Not sure.  The I/O interface --- specifically the dependency on
null-terminated strings --- isn't necessarily graven on stone tablets
either.  It could end up that this change adds more future work rather
than preventing it.

I'd be inclined to wait until we actually do change the internal
representation of text, if we do so, before expending this effort.