Re: Update a composite nested type variable - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Update a composite nested type variable
Date
List pgsql-sql
Luca Vernini wrote
> 2013/7/8 David Johnston <

> polobo@

>> This may be a pl/pgsql limitation but you should probably provide a
>> complete
>> self-contained example with your attempt so that user-error can be
>> eliminated.
>>
>> David J.
>>

> All right. Here you are a complete example. Just tested it.
> Sorry for the long email.

This does appear to be a limitation.  The documentation says pl/pgsql allows
for "simple variables" in the target which 2-layer composite types do not
qualify for.

As a work-around I'd suggest creating local variables for each of the
relevant fields - say by using the same names but with "_" instead of ".";
You will then need to reconstruct each complex value from the basic values
and return the reconstructed value.

r_cus_id := retset.cus_data.id;
r_cus_name := retset.cus_data.name;
r_cus_email := retset.cus_data.email;
r_superpower := retset.superpower:

RETURN SELECT (r_cus_id, r_cus_name, r_cus_email)::type_customer,
r_superpower)::type_supercustomer;

Not tested but as I am writing this I am getting a Deja-Vu sensation which I
think means I am correct and that this somewhat convoluted way is what
you've got.

David J.