Excessive cost of OpClassCache flushes in CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Excessive cost of OpClassCache flushes in CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Over in [1] it is demonstrated that with CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS enabled,
initdb accounts for a full 50% of the runtime of "make check-world"
(well, actually of the buildfarm cycle, which is not quite exactly
that but close).  Since initdb certainly doesn't cost that much
normally, I wondered why it is so negatively affected by CCA.  Some
perf measuring led me to LookupOpclassInfo, and specifically this bit:

    /*
     * When testing for cache-flush hazards, we intentionally disable the
     * operator class cache and force reloading of the info on each call. This
     * is helpful because we want to test the case where a cache flush occurs
     * while we are loading the info, and it's very hard to provoke that if
     * this happens only once per opclass per backend.
     */
#ifdef CLOBBER_CACHE_ENABLED
    if (debug_invalidate_system_caches_always > 0)
        opcentry->valid = false;
#endif

Diking that out halves initdb's CCA runtime.  Turns out it also
roughly halves the runtime of the core regression tests under CCA,
so this doesn't explain why initdb seems so disproportionately
affected by CCA.

However, seeing that this single choice is accounting for half the
cost of CCA testing, we really have to ask whether it's worth that.
This code was added by my commit 03ffc4d6d of 2007-11-28, about which