Re: Passing a WHERE clause by trigger to a function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Passing a WHERE clause by trigger to a function
Date
List pgsql-general
Melvin Call wrote
> But I still have a question in that I'd like to know if I can pass the
> WHERE clause to the function so it can examine the query? Or will I have
> test for the potential of acting on more than one row?

You can write a function that takes a text/varchar and builds a dynamic SQL
query that then is executed...but I highly advise against it. Basically you
open yourself to SQL injection attack vectors and passing in a where clause
to a function is a very non-intuitive and cumbersome API.

What you likely want are functions that do what you want and take a person
id as an input.  Let the user decide the best way to obtain that person id.

David J.