Re: statistics target for columns in unique constraint? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: statistics target for columns in unique constraint?
Date
List pgsql-performance
ach <alanchines@gmail.com> wrote:

> One quick follow up since I'm expecting y'all might know:  Do the
> statistics targets actually speed performance on an index search
> itself; the actual lookup?  Or are the JUST to inform the planner
> towards the best pathway decision?

Since the statistics are just a random sampling and generally not
completely up-to-date, they really can't be used for anything other
than *estimating* relative costs in order to try to pick the best
plan.  Once a plan is chosen, its execution time is not influenced
by the statistics.  A higher statistics target can increase
planning time.  In a complex query with many joins and many indexes
on the referenced tables, the increase in planning time can be
significant.  I have seen cases where blindly increasing the
default statistics target resulted in planning time which was
longer than run time -- without any increase in plan quality.

Generally when something is configurable, it's because there can be
benefit to adjusting it.  If there was a single setting which could
not be materially improved upon for some cases, we wouldn't expose
a configuration option.  This is something which is not only
globally adjustable, you can override the setting for individual
columns -- again, we don't go to the trouble of supporting that
without a good reason.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company