Re: counting algorithm for incremental matview maintenance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: counting algorithm for incremental matview maintenance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> #1 issue I have with current matview functionality is locking.
> currently refresh takes out an access exclusive lock.  so,
> question is, do you think your proposal will be such that it will
> no longer require taking out full lock for refresh purposes
> (either incremental or otherwise)?

The right thread for *that* question is "Differential
(transactional) REFRESH"; however, I might as well say here that I
don't think we want to get rid of the (faster) version that just
replaces the current heap when we add the (slower) option to
REFRESH it transactionally.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company