Re: Newer kernels and CFS scheduler again - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Newer kernels and CFS scheduler again
Date
List pgsql-general
>________________________________

to3.2.14 (select only and tpc-b).  After trying the suggestions made by Shaun Thomas a while back (here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50E4AAB1.9040902@optionshouse.com)and getting nowhere, I'm seeing big improvements
insteadincreasing the

Slight correction, I meant 3.2.41

>defaults for sched_min_granularity_ns and sched_wakeup_granularity_ns (As described here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-design-CFS.txt)from debians defaults of 3000000 and 4000000
respectively.

>On my initial test setup (which admittedly is far from cutting edge) of 2xE5320 / 32Gb the following seem pretty
optimal:

>kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=9000000
>kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns=12000000
>

>I've yet to do any testing on our larger machines, but as there have been a few posts here about performance vs newer
kernelsI was just wondering what other peoples findings are regarding CFS?