Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date
Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I wasn't able to properly understand that comment, and to be honest
> I'm not sure I precisely understand your concern either. I don't quite
> see why the template0 database matters. I think that database isn't
> going to be dumped, or restored, so as far as pg_upgrade is concerned
> it might as well not exist in either cluster, and I don't see why
> pg_upgrade can't therefore just ignore it completely. But template1
> and postgres are another matter. If I understand correctly, those
> databases are going to be created in the new cluster by initdb, but
> then pg_upgrade is going to populate them with data - including
> relation files - from the old cluster.

Right.  If pg_upgrade explicitly ignores template0 then its OID
need not be stable ... at least, not unless there's a chance it
could conflict with some other database OID, which would become
a live possibility if we let users get at "WITH OID = n".

(Having said that, I'm not sure that pg_upgrade special-cases
template0, or that it should do so.)

> To be honest, what I'd be inclined to do about that is just nail down
> those OIDs for future releases.

Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines.

> In fact, I'd probably go so far as to
> hardcode that in such a way that even if you drop those databases and
> recreate them, they get recreated with the same hard-coded OID.

Less sure that this is a good idea, though.  In particular, I do not
think that you can make it work in the face of
    alter database template1 rename to oops;
    create database template1;

> The only hard requirement for this feature is if we
> use the database OID for some kind of encryption or integrity checking
> or checksum type feature.

It's fairly unclear to me why that is so important as to justify the
amount of klugery that this line of thought seems to be bringing.