Re: Hosting PG on AWS in 2013 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: Hosting PG on AWS in 2013
Date
Re: Hosting PG on AWS in 2013
List pgsql-general
Le dimanche 07 avril 2013 à 11:19 -0700, Ben Chobot a écrit :

> Overall I won't say that you can get amazing DB performance inside
> AWS, but you can certainly get reasonable performance with enough
> PIOPs volumes and memory, and while the on-demand cost is absurd
> compared to what you can build with bare metal, the reserved-instance
> cost is more reasonable (even if not cheap).

Indeed.

Could someone explain to me the point of using an AWS instance in the
case of the OP, whose site is apparently very busy, versus renting a
bare metal server in a datacenter?

As an example, the site in my sig, which admittedly has much lower
requirements, since I only have a handful of users, has been hosted very
reliably on a rented server at online.net for the past two years on
their smallest server for 15 euros/month. Average load sits at 0.3%.

Using this feels like having a machine in your facility, only better
protected. I use several of those for redundancy.

Is there something I'm missing?

--
Salutations, Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/site/demonstration