Re: pg_stat_get_last_vacuum_time(): why non-FULL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_stat_get_last_vacuum_time(): why non-FULL?
Date
List pgsql-general
CR Lender <crlender@gmail.com> wrote:

> The database is running on PostgreSQL 8.3.6.

> I've read the manual more carefully now, and I can't see any mention of
> what VACUUM does that VACUUM FULL does not. The point about extreme
> maintainance is taken, but from what I read, VACUUM FULL should include
> everything a normal VACUUM does.

Prior to release 9.0 that is probably true.  Sorry for not asking
about the version first.  But you should read this page:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

8.3 is out of support now.  Even for the 8.3 release, 8.3.6 is
missing over four years of fixes for bugs and security
vulnerabilities.  There is a very good chance that any problem you
see already fixed and you are just choosing to run without the fix.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company