about .pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From kobolds
Subject about .pgpass
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi ,

I have question about.pgpass . I have been playing around with postgresql
privileges setting . I created a role user1 (not superuser) for the testing
. today with this role I can login to the database in which I have grant
without need enter password .

I found the culprit is .pgpass after I alter the role password
psql -d db1 -h 192.168.56.200 -U user1
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "user1"
password retrieved from file "/home/myuser/.pgpass"

I open the file and found the user1 and password listed inside .
my question.
1. when is postgresql write role user1 inside the file. can I disable the
function?
2. on another  machine  that running pgadmin3 (windows) , when I try connect
using role user1 without password it also allow me , is this correct?

here my pg_hba setting

host    all             postgres        0.0.0.0/0               reject
local   all             postgres                                peer
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             192.168.56.0/24         md5
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

rgds,
ccc