Re: Passing dynamic parameters to a table-returning function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Passing dynamic parameters to a table-returning function
Date
Re: Passing dynamic parameters to a table-returning function  (Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com>)
List pgsql-general
Moshe Jacobson wrote
>  I'm
> unsure of the syntax for passing in values from columns in the database as
> the parameters of a set-returning function from which I want to select *.

General form for this in version <= 9.2:

WITH func_call_cte AS (
SELECT func_call(col1, col2, col3) AS func_result
FROM table_with_cols_123
)
SELECT (func_result).*
FROM func_call_cte;

9.3 will have "LATERAL" and so should be much cleaner.

The general idea is you have to put the function into the select-list so it
can see the columns of the table in the FROM.  To avoid multiple evaluations
of the function you have to treat the output set as a single typed column
(func_result) and then in an outer query layer (in this case outside the
WITH) you can generically expand the typed column into its component parts.

HTH,

David J.