Re: [HACKERS] Re: locales and MB (was: Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: locales and MB (was: Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yes. This is because I carefully choose multibyte encodings for
> the backend that have following characteristics:
> o if the 8th bit of a byte is off then it is a ascii character
> o otherwise it is part of non ascii multibyte characters

Ah so.

> You might ask why I don't make makeIndexable() multibyte-aware.  It
> definitely possible. But you should know there are many places that
> need to be multibyte-aware in this sence. The parser is one of the
> good example.

Right, it's much easier to dodge the problem by restricting backend
encodings, and since we have conversions that doesn't hurt anyone.
Now that I think about it, all the explicitly MB-aware code that
I've seen is in frontend stuff.

Thanks for the clue...