Re: How to store clickmap points? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: How to store clickmap points?
Date
List pgsql-general
aasat wrote
> Hi,
>
> I want to store clickmap points (X, Y and hits value) for website
>
> I currently have table like this
>
> CREATE TABLE clickmap (
>   page_id integer,
>   date date,
>   x smallint,
>   y smallint,
>   hits integer
> )
>
> But this generated about 1M rows per day.
>
> Can Postgres have better method to store this data? I also have the
> possibility to update hits value for point

Generally questions like this require that some knowledge of how the
resultant data is going to be used in order to make appropriate design
trade-offs.  I would also question why you wouldn't just store the actual
timestamp value as opposed to just storing the date.

David J.