Re: pg_dump dumping... core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump dumping... core
Date
Re: pg_dump dumping... core  (ohp@pyrenet.fr)
Re: pg_dump dumping... core  (ohp@pyrenet.fr)
List pgsql-hackers
ohp@pyrenet.fr writes:
> pg_dump is crashing on 1 database here.

Judging from the backtrace, malloc's data structures have gotten
corrupted, probably as a result of somebody scribbling on a few more
bytes than their buffer would hold.

Since we haven't seen other reports of similar problems, I'm leaning
to the theory that it's a platform-specific problem.  In particular
I wonder whether you might have a buggy version of vsnprintf().  I have
seen Solaris 7's vsnprintf() overrun its output buffer --- could
Unixware's have the same bug?

It'd be worth trying the workaround outlined in FAQ_Solaris (add
snprintf.o to LIBOBJS and rebuild libpq.so), just to see if it makes
any difference.  If not, you're in for some tedious debugging to try
to figure out exactly where the culprit is :-(