libpq error message deallocation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From icholy
Subject libpq error message deallocation
Date
List pgsql-general
PQerrorMessage function return char const*
   char const* msg = PQerrorMessage(conn);

Now since it's const, I don't think I should be deallocating it and I've never seen that done in any examples. But then, when and how does it get freed?

At first I thought it gets deallocated once another error message is requested but that's not the case.

   // cause some error   char const* msg1 = PQerrorMessage(pgconn);
   // cause another error   char const* msg2 = PQerrorMessage(pgconn);
   // still works   std::cout << msg1 << msg2 << std::endl;
Can someone shed some light on this for me?