Re: BUG #7577: JDBC Driver - Compiled with Java 7 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From seancompusult
Subject Re: BUG #7577: JDBC Driver - Compiled with Java 7
Date
List pgsql-bugs
To add to this, it's not just a question of making more sense.  Compiling the
code with Java 7 means the generated class files are version 51, which is
not acceptable to a Java 5 JRE - it wants version 49.  So the existing
pre-built jar cannot simply be dropped into a Java 5 app.

To get around this I'm trying to build from source without much more
success.  When I follow the recommendation of using a 1.5 JDK, for some
reason ant still craps out with an UnsupportedClassVersionError.  I also
tried to hack the build.xml to force compilation with source="1.5" and
target="1.5", but then the compilation fails like this:

compile:
    [javac] /opt/sean/software/postgresql-jdbc-9.0-802.src/build.xml:120:
warning: 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to
build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 176 source files to
/opt/sean/software/postgresql-jdbc-9.0-802.src/build
    [javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction
with -source 1.5
    [javac]
/opt/sean/software/postgresql-jdbc-9.0-802.src/org/postgresql/Driver.java:47:
error: org.postgresql.Driver is not abstract and does not override abstract
method getParentLogger() in java.sql.Driver
    [javac] public class Driver implements java.sql.Driver
    [javac]        ^
    [javac]
/opt/sean/software/postgresql-jdbc-9.0-802.src/org/postgresql/ds/PGConnectionPoolDataSource.java:39:
error: PGConnectionPoolDataSource is not abstract and does not override
abstract method getParentLogger() in CommonDataSource
    [javac] public class PGConnectionPoolDataSource extends BaseDataSource
implements Serializable, ConnectionPoolDataSource
    [javac]        ^
    [javac]
/opt/sean/software/postgresql-jdbc-9.0-802.src/org/postgresql/ds/PGPooledConnection.java:26:
error: PGPooledConnection is not abstract and does not override abstract
method removeStatementEventListener(StatementEventListener) in
PooledConnection

etc.

Does anyone have a solution for people like me who must use Java 5?

Thanks,
Sean