PostgreSQL force create table / ignore constraints? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hartrc
Subject PostgreSQL force create table / ignore constraints?
Date
List pgsql-general
Version Postgresql 9.1.6
OS: SLES 11 64 bit

Background:
Our developers create database schema in development environment using
PGAdmin (often using the GUI to generate the DDL).
We always deploy to production using a script, a single .sql file which we
execute via psql command line. This allows us to generate an output with any
errors and have good view of deployment history over time.

Issue
The issue we have is that developers generate the .sql script mainly by
copying and pasting from PGAdmin's SQL pane. The issue we have is then the
order of the object creation is important otherwise creation of tables and
fail when there is a foreign key constraint on another table that does not
exist (but is created later in the script). This is not a big deal in a
schema with 3 or 4 tables but when there are 20+ it is time consuming task
to reorder all the create statements.

Can anyone recommend a way of dealing with this? My only other thought has
been pg_dump although i would prefer if the developers could generate the
scripts themselves.

Thanks,
Rob