Re: Thousands of schemas and ANALYZE goes out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hugo
Subject Re: Thousands of schemas and ANALYZE goes out of memory
Date
Re: Thousands of schemas and ANALYZE goes out of memory  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> Why 32 bits?  Is that what your hardware is?

The business started in 2005 and we have been using 32 bits since then. We
have several machines, each with a remote replica databases (WAL shipping)
configured and changing this to 64 bits is going to be a lot of work, let
alone the down time of each server (pg_dump + pg_restore). But we will
probably do this in the future after we finish some priorities.

> That might be the problem.  I think with 32 bits, you only 2GB of
> address space available to any given process, and you just allowed
> shared_buffers to grab all of it.

The address space for 32 bits is 4Gb. We just tried to reach a balance in
the configuration and it seems to be working (except for the ANALYZE command
when the number of schemas/tables is huge).

Some questions I have:

1) Is there any reason to run the ANALYZE command in a single transaction?
2) Is there any difference running the ANALYZE in the whole database or
running it per schema, table by table?

Thanks for all the help,
Hugo