Re: [HACKERS] Date/Time Flaw in pg_dump ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Date/Time Flaw in pg_dump ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris Bitmead <chris.bitmead@bigfoot.com> writes:
> In their words, the way Postgres works is broken :-(

Thomas will have to provide the detailed response to this, but as far
as I've seen there is nothing "broken" about Postgres' handling of
timezones.  You're assuming that portability of dump scripts across
locales is more important than showing dates in the style(s) people
want to read ... in the real world that isn't so.

> So according to them, the way postgres should work is that it should
> dump times with a time and a specific UT offset, as in 10:00am UT-10 for
> example.

SET DATESTYLE = 'ISO'.

(It might be a worthwhile idea for pg_dump to use this datestyle always,
since indeed some of the other ones are locale-dependent.  Comments?)