Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes or type OIDs in binary - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Assert that we don't invent relfilenodes or type OIDs in binary
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:52:04AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you're actually concerned about here?

> I am concerned a non-assert build will not error out, but if no one else
> is concerned about that, I am fine.

I think in a production situation, we actually don't want it to error
out.  The odds are fairly good that the run would complete successfully
(ie, the potential OID collision never actually materializes).  So all
we're doing is converting a possible failure into an unavoidable one.

Where we want to hear about the problem is in development.  So really
an Assert is the right thing.

            regards, tom lane