Re: Port report: Fedora Core 3 x86_64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Port report: Fedora Core 3 x86_64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> This same workaround is in the RPMs.  I wonder if it would be
>>> worthwhile for configure to assume the above when --with-krb5 is
>>> mentioned.  I don't know how widespread this particular file layout
>>> is ...

>> I have never seen it before.  I've never had to add any paths to compile
>> with Kerberos support, at least since they moved it out
>> of /usr/kerberos.

> FYI, i had the same issue here on Mandrake Linux 10.0/10.1 (32Bit),
> Community Edition and Official.

Actually, I'm wondering why we directly include com_err.h at all.  At
least in the version of <krb5.h> I have here, that file is included by
krb5.h; so both backend/libpq/auth.c and interfaces/libpq/fe-auth.c
compile just fine with #include <com_err.h> diked out.  I suspect that
our problems in this area all stem from trying to include something
we are not supposed to include to begin with.

It's possible that com_err.h was considered an exported file in old
krb5 releases but no longer is.  So perhaps what we should do is make
the C code read#ifdef HAVE_COM_ERR_H#include <com_err.h>#endif
and adjust configure to generate that symbol, but not require the header
to be found.

Comments?