Re: Amazon High I/O instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date
List pgsql-general
Le mardi 21 août 2012 à 09:36 -0500, Merlin Moncure a écrit :

> here's a datapoint, stock config:
> pgbench -i -s 500
> pgbench -c 16 -T 60
> number of transactions actually processed: 418012
> tps = 6962.607292 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 6973.154593 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> not too shabby.  this was run by a friend who is evaluating high i/o
> instances for their high load db servers.   we didn't have time to
> kick off a high scale read only test unfortunately.
>
> Regarding 'AWS vs bare metal', I think high i/o instances full a huge
> niche in their lineup.   Dollar for dollar, I'm coming around to the
> point of view that dealing with aws is a cheaper/more effective
> solution than renting out space from a data center or (even worse)
> running your own data center unless you're very large or have other
> special requirements.  Historically the problem with AWS is that you
> had no solution for highly transaction bound systems which forced you
> to split your environment which ruined most of the benefit, and they
> fixed that.

Hi Merlin,

I am sure you can get good performance with these.

I simply focused on the part where seb said he was testing his app, and
since you can get some really high data throughput (by my very modest
standards anyway) with a good machine, I wondered why he did it.

Maybe seb is planning for an application that already has hundreds of
users after all, I did oversee that option.

To Sébastien : please use 'reply all' to send your reply to the list