Re: Changing SQL Inlining Behaviour (or...?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Changing SQL Inlining Behaviour (or...?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@cleverelephant.ca> writes:
> Is there a rule of thumb we can use in costing our wrappers to ensure that they always inline?

Not really, which is a weak spot of this whole approach.

In particular, if you just make procost really big, you risk screwing
things up rather badly in cases where inlining fails for whatever reason.

Also I'm slightly concerned that we'd end up with an "arms race"
where different functions are all trying to out-cost each other.

I don't know whether you've actually tried to use a fix along this line?
It might be good to experiment with whether you can actually improve
matters for PostGIS before we commit to supporting this hack.