Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT variable category - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A modest proposal: get rid of GUC's USERLIMIT variable category
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> writes:
> When tracking down gnarly problems in heavily multi-user applications
> enabling higher log levels at selective points has the potential to help
> _a lot_ with diagnostic detail, without smothering you in _every_
> detail.

Sure.  As I pointed out in the other thread, if you want to allow an app
to do this, you can make available a SECURITY DEFINER function that
performs the desired SET on its behalf.  By setting execute permissions
on the function and/or including restrictions in the function's code,
you can make this as tight or as loose a loophole as you like.  So it's
certainly possible to do what you want in any case.  I think the issue
at hand is what's appropriate to provide as hard-wired functionality.